Thursday, September 21, 2006

September US adventure, Pt 2: Oregon

Alrighty, I won’t write part 2 in half the detail of the first part, but try and highlight the best of the Oregon part of the trip.

Sunday, we made up for lost sleep, and then explored the beach we were camping on. Our next campsite was less than 2 hours South, so after packing up we decided to leisurely tour the coast for the day, taking in the gorgeous scenery.

We stopped by the world’s largest known cave of sealions, and spent an hour or so watching the smelly beasts. I’m still learning how to use my camera, so I couldn’t keep my pics from coming out blurred (though, I know it’s possible, since the movie turned out just fine!). Nevertheless, a professor from a University in India has added my pics to his website about caves around the world: http://www.cave-biology.org/. Neat site; check it out!

Our campground, turned out to have over 400 sites on it, with over 1/3 of them having hookups for R/Vs. And it was full! We had the good fortune of having a gang of teenagers for neighbours, who had evidently discovered alcohol recently, but had not yet mastered the delicate art of not-advertising-to-the-whole-world-that-I’ve-been-drinking. They provided good entertainment throughout the night.

Monday, the place became deserted and walking around the campground was quite eerie. So we went and explored the touristy area of Florence, the nearby town. Bryanna bought herself a kite, which we took to the sand dunes and played with for a while.

Next, we went and rented ATVs, which was a blast! Basically, the whole point of dune buggying seems to be to find tall sand-drifts and rolls down them. Though I found it frustrating for the first five minutes (a gorilla of a man had to come help me pull it out when I managed to sink 1 foot down into the dunes), I quickly picked it up and by the end I could see it becoming more addictive than any other downhill sport I’ve ever done. I vow that one day I will own an ATV, even if it’s just when I’m old and senile, for driving myself around the retirement home (I'll get a basket on the front, and streamers coming off the handles)

Anyway, those are the highlights from Oregon. Our next stop was wine country, California! …

|